Nutrition facts per serving:
- Fat, total(g)9
- sat. fat(g)3
- Monosaturated fat(g)3
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)1
- vit. A(IU)7677
- vit. C(mg)14
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)1
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)4
Beef and Barley Stew
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 pounds extra lean beef stew meat, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 5 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks*
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks*
- 1 cup coarsely chopped roma tomatoes
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup medium barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
Season meat to taste with pepper and thoroughly coat with flour. In a 6-quart nonstick Dutch oven coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook meat over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
Add onion and garlic, sauteing for several more minutes. Add carrots, parsley, and thyme; saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and water and bring to a boil, scraping bottom of the pan.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat and continue cooking, covered, over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Add peas, stirring for one minute.
- omit the potatoes and increase sweet potatoes to 4 cups.